Institution: Boston College
Your Job Title: Education Librarian
Library type: Academic Library
Officer Seats: None
Board Seat Category: General
Please list all BCALA involvement:
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association, Member
- BCALA Services to Children & Families of African Descent Committee, Executive Board, 2003-2004
- Recruitment & Professional Development Committee, Chair, 2002-2004
- Membership Chair, 2002-2003
Professional Activities & Extra-Curricular: (Volunteer, offices held, honors/awards, publications, etc.):
- ALA Member
- ALSC Notable Children’s Book Committee
- ACRL Member
- EBSS & RUSA Members
- School Library Journal Reviewer
- Library Journal Reviewer
- Choice Reviewer
Accomplishments/Awards & Honors: 2016-2017
- YE Smith Teacher of the Year
- 2016-2017, Semi-Finalist Durham Public School, Teacher of the Year
What skills/experiences make you a good candidate to be an officer of BCALA?:
I have a background in non-profit management and creating and implementing short and long term goals of an organization.
I am passionate about networking and collaborating to progress mission and vision of Black Librarians and Librarians of Color.
I’m re-entering the profession, after being a urban classroom teacher for 7 years, re-energized to promote and serve the agenda of Black Librarians and our Black Communities.
Name 3 specific things you see that need to be done to strengthen the Black Caucus?:
- Establish itself as an authoritative information resource within the Black community.
- Increase social interactions among Black Librarians.
- Increase in Black social justice movements through information literacy.