The dates for the E J Josey scholarship are as follows:
- October 1, 2020: Guidelines and theme will be announced
- December 1. 2020: Deadline for submissions
- January 2021: Winners will be selected and announced at ALA midwinter meeting
In celebration of BCALA’s 50th anniversary in 2020, the 2020-2021 E.J. Josey Scholarship Award Committee of the Black Caucus of the American Library Association seeks essay submissions that address the following topic:
“They Were Giants: How BCALA Early Leadership Helped Shape the Future of the Organization.”
The E.J. Josey Scholarships are unrestricted grants of $2,000, awarded annually to African American students enrolled in or accepted by ALA-accredited programs.
Persons Wishing to Apply Must:
- Be an African American Citizen of the United States or Canada.
- Be enrolled or accepted by ALA-accredited graduate program leading to a degree in library and information science at the time of application.
The deadline for the essays is on December 13, 2019. Essays should be submitted in Microsoft Word to [email protected].
The winning essays will be announced at the mid-winter meeting of BCALA in Philadelphia, PA during the Midwinter Meeting of the American Library Association in January 2020.
- Include a cover letter providing the applicant’s name, address, phone number, graduate program, and name of the school and anticipated date of graduation.
- Essay submissions must be in plain text, Microsoft Word format, to be mailed electronically as an attachment.
- Only essays submitted electronically will be considered. Please include E.J. Josey in the subject line of your electronic submission. The essay must be typed and double-spaced.
- Please use the MLA style and include a minimum of six bibliographical references.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of good argument development and critical analysis, clear language, conciseness, and creativity.
For more information, please contact Sylvia Sprinkle-Hamlin @ [email protected].
|Anicka Austin||University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill||2018||$ 2,000|
|Jabez Patterson||Dominican University||2018||$ 2,000|
|Ayoola Maia White||Simmons College||2017||$ 2,000|
|Christopher Robinson||University of North Carolina-Greensboro||2016||$ 2,000|
|Kai Forsley||San Jose State University||2016||$ 2,000|
|Neketta Borden||Texas Women’s University||2015||$ 2,000|
|Kim McNeil-Capers||Queens College||2015||$ 2,000|
|Amanda Davis||Valdosta State University||2014||$ 2,000|
|Camille Thomas||Florida State University||2014||$ 2,000|
|Alice Etim||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC||2010||$ 2,000|
|Ashanti White||University of North Carolina, Greensboro, NC||2010||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Sandra Eddie||Queens College, CUNY||2009||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Teneka D. Taylor||U. of North Texas||2009||$ 2,000|
|Mr. Orisanmi Burton||Long Island U.||2008||$ 2,000|
|Mr. Byron McGhee||Valdosta State U.||2008||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Jennifer Blakely||Wayne State U.||2007||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Kafi Laramore-Josey||Wayne State U.||2007||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Angela Brooks||U. of Tennessee||2006||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Tamitra Rose||North Carolina Central U.||2006||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Cynthia Landrum||U. of Southern Mississippi||2005||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Yasmin Morais||U. of Toronto||2005||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Anita N. Jennings||Texas Women’s U.||2004||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Marianne Harris||U. of Arizona||2004||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Barbara Beebe||U. of Southern Mississippi||2003||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Joy C. Jackson||U. of Maryland||2003||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Delphia Williams||San Jose State U.||2002||$ 2,000|
|Mr. Steven K. Profit||U. of South Carolina||2002||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Tamika Maddox||U. of Pittsburgh||2001||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Avril Haughton||South Florida U.||2000||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Delores McLemore||Clark Atlanta U.||2000||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Dorothy W. Williams||McGill U.||2000||$ 2,000|
|Mr. Sterling Joseph Coleman||Jr., Louisiana State U.||1999||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Lucia G. Fisher||North Carolina Central U.||1999||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Jeralyn Jackson||Clark Atlanta U.||1999||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Danielle M. Green||U. of Tennessee||1998||$ 2,000|
|Mr. Roland Lemonious||Clark Atlanta U.||1998||$ 2,000|
|Ms. Patricia M. Richard||San Jose State U.||1998||$ 2,000|
|Ms. E. Murell Dawson||Florida State U.||1997||$ 2,000|
|Mr. Steven G. Fullwood||Clark Atlanta U.||1997||$ 2,000|
|Mr. Steven V. Haynie||SUNY at Buffalo||1996||$ 1,500|
|Ms. Tamara Stewart||Long Island U.||1995||$ 1,500|
|Ms. Beverly Huda Abdus-Sabur||UNC Greensboro||1994||$ 1,500|